From Teaching Hack:
Here are a few but check out the site for more ideas:
1. Groups of students doing a classroom project sharing theirbookmarks, a teacher subscribed to their rss feed to see the directionof their research. (FURL - teacher can review and comment on resourcesthat are bookmarked)
2. Resource teacher does a PD event with a group of teacherscreates a shared del.icio.us account where teachers can post researchand information bookmarks that they gather throughout the year. Allmembers continuously benefit from this shared resource.
3. Rate and review bookmarks to help other students to decide on usefulness of resources
I have to say I feel like I was living in a cave not to have heard of social bookmarking, although not having done much in the way of research for a few years I can understand why, but sounds great for helping students gather resources.
One of my hesitations is the "pooled ignorance" possibility of social bookmarking, where anyone can create their own tags and classification of resources unlike the old Dewey Decimal system (creak! goes my rocker, I feel old) that I'm used to and the standard library classification systems of resources. On top of teaching the subject matter educators really have to help students navigate their way through these new resources and all of the information coming at them, but for example, number 3 on the suggestion list would be a great discussion and activity in the classroom, where students and teacher could decide what or what is not a useful resource and why. Simply the process of tagging resources causes students to make decisions and become involved in the thought process of differentiating between useful and non-useful information.
Friday, March 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree with you in that I myself have been living "in a cave" not to have heard of social bookmarking before. It seems to me that once you become proficient, and comfortable, with what it has to offer, it can be a great way to gather and sort information. I too like the third idea listed. By doing this, we can help students sift through information in order to help them better use the information given. By identifying useful information, we are teaching them to use this great tool with greater efficiency.
Okay, my first comment didn't go through, so I'm trying this again. It hasn't been lonely in that cave, I was in there with both of you. Yes, I had seen articles about del.icio.us but hadn't taken the time to check out the site. I think there are many ways that this will help facilitate trainings and work with students. I'm anxious to try it with a group of staff that are taking a class on Palm Handheld computers with me. I think showing staff the benefits will increase their desire to use it.
Lisa
Post a Comment